Here were the questions last year with answers. Needless to say, no one got close with the first two!
(1) Our traditional, most important question: where will Villarreal finish in the league? 14th
(2) And with how many points? 44
(3) Who will win La Liga? Barcelona
(4) Who will finish higher: Villarreal, or Valencia? Well, we all know the answer to THAT.
(5) Who will finish higher: Real Betis, or Sevilla? This one was close for awhile, but Sevilla.
(6) And who will finish higher: Atletico Madrid, or Real Madrid? Atleti
(7) Who will lead Villarreal in:
(a) goals scored Toko Ekambi
(b) minutes played Alvaro Gonzalez
(c) average rating on Whoscored Santi Cazorla
(d) yellow cards Mario Gaspar or Ramiro Funes Mori, either was OK
(8) How many penalties will Sergio Asenjo save this season? one
(9) How many points will we get against Real Madrid and Sevilla this season? (give me the total, you don’t need to say how many against which team) five (Sevilla 4, RM 1)
(10) How many yellow cards will we receive AS A TEAM this season? (for reference, we had 109 in the league last year). 112 (I gave you a point if you were within 110-115)
(11) Which three teams will be relegated from La Liga? Huesca, Rayo, Girona. Lots of people had Huesca, one or two had Rayo. I don’t think anyone had Girona.
(12) Will Bruno Soriano play more than 1000 minutes for the first team this season? Sadly, no.
(13) How many goals will our leading goalscorer score? 10.
(14) How many of these players will be with us at the end of the January transfer window: Samu Castillejo, Denis Cheryshev, Mario Gaspar, Victor Ruiz, Nicola Sansone, Enes Unal?
Two: Ruiz and Funes Mori.
(15) To the nearest hundred (i.e. 300, 800) how many minutes will Santi Cazorla play for us this season? He played 2651 minutes, so I accepted 2600 or 2700.
(16) Toko Ekambi is now valued at €18m on transfermarkt (our transfer fee). To the nearest 1m, how much will he be worth there on June 1, 2019? This one was a bit tricky since transfermarkt actually revalued him on June 11—to €17.5m. So I accepted anything in the €17-18m range.
(17) Who will play more minutes for Villarreal: Santy Caceres, or Miguel Layún?
(18) Who will finish higher in their league this season: Villarreal B, or Villarreal C?
(19) Will Villarreal B make the promotion playoffs this season? yes
(20) How many of the newly relegated teams (Depor, Malaga, Las Palmas) will return to La Liga this season? none!! I don’t think anyone got this right.
(21) How many yellow cards will Battling Jaume Costa (tm) receive? The Battler lost playing time, and ended up with only six. Fooled us all. (I accepted 5-7 as OK)
(22) How many assists will Pablo Fornals have? Only three. (I accepted anything less than 5)
(23) Will Calleja be our coach at the end of the season? Yes. (didn’t say anything about taking a siesta in between!!)
(24) How far will we progress in the Europa League? Final 8 (quarterfinals)
(25) How far will we progress in the Copa del Rey? Final 16 (octafinals)
And now, the tiebreaker in case any of you are even on points....
What will be Villarreal’s team score on whoscored at the end of the year? (it was 6.78 last season). The answer was 6.72.
For most of these, you had to have the exact answer (I indicated above where you didn’t).
So.......(drum roll).....the winners are:
(1) maddi 13 pts, 6.84 tiebreaker €100 spending spree at club shop
(2) Keith Malmberg 13 pts 6.87 tiebreaker €60 spending spree at club shop
(3) rasta jol 13 pts, but no tiebreaker answer :( €40 spending spree at club shop
And all the winners get a Villarreal USA scarf, if you do not already have one!!
I will email the winners using the email address I have on file, but you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with your personal details as well.
I will need your real names and addresses to give to the club shop. Thanks to all of you for participating, and next year’s quiz will appear soon!