Twente dropped down into the Europa League after finishing behind Tottenham and Inter Milan in Group A of the Champions League (the only group stage foursome with two teams left in the competition). Be forewarned; this team is very dangerous in attack. And don't forget about American international defender Oguchi Onyewu.
- 29 matches played (out of 34); 56 goals scored, 28 conceded, +28 GD.
- 63 points, 1st place in Eredivisie; 2 points ahead of 2nd-place PSV Eindhoven (who Twente defeated 2-0 on Saturday).
- 30 matches played (out of 38); 48 goals scored, 31 conceded, +17 GD.
- 54 points, 4th place in La Liga; 3 points behind 3rd-place Valencia CF.
Individual statistics (in league play):
- F Marc Janko (Austria): 14 goals; our old nemesis from Red Bull Salzburg returns.
- MF Theo Janssen (Netherlands): 10 goals; having a career year vis a vis goalscoring.
- F Luuk de Jong (Netherlands): 10 goals; up-and-coming youngster, part of front line Twin Towers.
- F Brian Ruiz (Costa Rica): 8 goals; scored 24 last season, leads by example internationally.
- MF Nacer Chadli (Belgium): 7 goals; another young revelation, eschewed Morocco internationally.
- F Giuseppe Rossi (Italy): 15 goals, 5 assists; 28 starts, no substitute appearances.
- F Nilmar (Brazil): 11 goals, 3 assists; 21 starts, 3 substitute appearances.
- MF Santi Cazorla (Spain): 5 goals, 8 assists; 27 starts, 2 substitute appearances.
- MF Borja Valero (Spain): 3 goals, 8 assists; 27 starts, 1 substitute appearance.
- GK Diego Lopez (Spain): 92 saves, .748(!!) save percentage; his great season keeps getting better.
Scoring statistics (in league play):
- 11-3-1 at home (1st in Eredivisie); 8-3-3 away (1st). Not surprising.
- Has outscored opponents 33-12 at home.
- Lost 2 consecutive matches before Thanksgiving; has dropped 2 since. Impressive run.
- 3 perfect months: October (5 wins), January (3), March (3).
- 10-1 in matches decided by 2+ goals; lost 6-2 away to Heerenveen.
- 11-3-2 at home (3rd in La Liga); 5-3-6 away (4th). Also predictable.
- Has outscored opponents 29-10 at home.
- Lost 2 matches pre-Thanksgiving; has dropped 6 since. That's why we're now a staggering 27 points behind Barcelona.
- 2 undefeated months: September (4 wins), October (2 wins, 2 draws).
- 8-3 in matches decided by 2+ goals; away defeats to Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid.