A few links to whet your appetite:
- Villarreal CF has never lost in Holland. But FC Twente has won every match at home against Spanish opposition. So the history is a wash.
- Today's Scottish ref purportedly cards for dissent and diving. Mateo Musacchio is our only healthy player at risk of suspension. Please be careful; we need you desperately in Oporto in two weeks.
- Juan Carlos Garrido knows that the Tukkers pose a big threat in the air. Leg-breaker Marc Janko is the danger-man, but watch out for American international Oguchi Onyewu from set-pieces.
- Ruben Cani has been in this situation before. In the semifinals of the 2005-06 Copa del Rey, Cani's Zaragoza side thrashed Real Madrid 6-1 at La Romareda, which eventually led to the resignation of Mr. Galáctico, Florentino Pérez. However, Madrid nearly made it through, winning 4-0 at the Bernabéu. Let's hope for no such drama tonight.
- Congratulations to Paraguayan international Hernan Perez on his first call-up to the A team. He will wear #33 and could see playing time late on with Nilmar suspended.
My expected XI:
Mario Gaspar – Musacchio – Jose Manuel Catala – Joan Oriol
Borja Valero – Bruno Soriano – Carlos Marchena – Wakaso Mubarak
Marco Ruben – Giuseppe Rossi
Joan Capdevila has looked out of sorts recently, so I think Oriol gets the nod at left back. Wakaso is a logical choice to replace the suspended Santi Cazorla, though Cani is the more experienced hand.
Prediction: A goal should take the life out of the Tukkers, and I think we will get one. 2-1 to Twente on the night, but a comfortable 6-3 Villarreal victory on aggregate. Endavant Villarreal!