A more detailed preview to come on Wednesday, but just to whet your appetite...
- 25 matches played; 40 goals scored, 22 conceded, +18 GD.
- 49 points, 2nd place in Serie A; 3 points behind leaders AC Milan.
- 23 matches played; 41 goals scored, 23 conceded, +18 GD.
- 45 points, 4th place in La Liga; 17(!!) points behind leaders Barcelona.
From the season numbers, it's a tight, intriguing matchup.
Individual statistics (in league play):
- Edinson Cavani (Uruguay, on loan(!) from Palermo): 20 goals, 4 assists
- Marek Hamšík (Slovakia): 8 goals, 4 assists
- Ezequiel Lavezzi (Argentina): 5 goals, 10 assists (plus a spitball)
- Giuseppe Rossi (Italy): 12 goals, 5 assists
- Nilmar (Brazil): 10 goals, 3 assists
- Santi Cazorla (Spain): 5 goals, 7 assists
- Borja Valero (Spain): 3 goals, 7 assists
Scoring statistics (in league play):
All in all, a great tie is in store, perhaps more befitting of a quarterfinal. Expect a raucous atmosphere at the 60,000-seat Stadio San Paolo on Thursday evening.