Highlights from Levante 1-2 Villarreal:
Highlights from Villarreal B 0-3 Las Palmas:
A team musings:
- Villarreal looked lifeless for long spells. The final score reflected the wide disparity in talent nearly being counteracted by Levante's intensity and desire.
- Thankfully, at least Nilmar came to play. I thought his penultimate touch on the second goal was a bit too far, but he loves to chip the onrushing keeper. Having two strikers on form can take this team a long way and make up for other deficiencies.
- That being said, this midfield quartet does not work. I know that I'm a Montero apologist, and he needs to pass the ball more, but the squad is begging for some width. Montero and Cazorla on the wings with any 2 of our 4 central midfielders (paging Matilla) would be better than the current setup.
- It's nice to complain after a win, particularly on the road. Keep in mind that Villarreal won once on its travels in La Liga through March of last season. Pathetic.
- 5th place after 3 rounds is fine by me. Another 3 points required at home against punchless Depor on Thursday (on GolTV in the US).
B team thoughts:
- The B team's match reminded me of Villarreal 4-0 Espanyol. The scoreline was so disparate only because one team took their chances and the other did not. I'm pleased to see that, under Javi Gracia, the B team is playing "Villarreal football." Don't give up on passing and possession, even when you're behind.
- Marquitos missed a sitter that would've leveled the match at 3:18 of the clip.
- 2 wins, 2 big losses after 4 rounds. 5 points above the drop zone is all that matters. And what is demoted Tenerife doing at the bottom?